Zesty Chicken and Rice (slow cooker recipe)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 small onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 – 2 cups water (or more, depending on type of rice you use. Add more water if/when necessary.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes OR cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked separately)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Trim fat from chicken, and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place chicken in crock pot, sprinkle seasonings in, and stir to coat.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for rice and cheese) and stir.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. (Crock pots vary like our schedules, so put this on to cook when it makes most sense for you.)
- Serve on top steamed brown rice. Garnish with shredded cheddar. Other toppings might include sour cream, pico de gallo, cilantro, or purple onion.