Moving on from pureed baby foods, an easy transition is a homemade veggie casserole. Customized with almost any vegetable, this recipe is very versatile.
Simply grate equal amounts of vegetables like squash, zucchini, carrot, and potato, then bake until done.
Sometimes I add just a bit of fresh garlic, fresh onion, and bit of cheese to top it off, and our one-year-old and two-year-old boys just love this dish!
Toddler Veggie Casserole
- equal amounts shredded carrot, zucchini, yellow squash, potato (or your toddler’s favorite vegetables)
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons butter
- pinch of sea salt
- Wash vegetables and cut off ends. Peel carrot and potato if desired.
- Using cheese grater or food processor, grate vegetables into small pieces.
- Mix in small baking dish (8×8 would work), add two Tablespoons butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Add minced garlic and/or onion if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Veggie casserole is done when all vegetables are very soft. If adding cheese, do so now, then bake covered for five more minutes or til cheese is melted.