I’m not sure if it’s due to running, but I’ve been craving oats lately. I know that sounds weird. I keep going into the kitchen, and sadly, finding out that I’m missing key ingredients to make the things I’m craving. I’ve wanted to make Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies this week, but since they weren’t on the menu plan, of course I didn’t have enough brown sugar.
But I did have enough brown sugar to make this yummy granola. I’ve been wanting to make the boys a new breakfast cereal anyway, so I’m glad it turned out super yummy!
You can add dried fruit, more nuts, and even chocolate pieces to this and eat it like trail mix or, you can eat it like cereal.
I’ll be doing both!
Vanilla Almond Granola Cereal
- 3 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup almonds – coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar or sucanat
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In small saucepan, stir together brown sugar, coconut oil, and honey. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil.
- Once the mixture has boiled for 30 seconds or so, remove from heat and set aside.
- In large baking pan or cookie sheet, mix oats, coconut, and almonds.
- Stir vanilla into brown sugar/coconut oil, honey mixture, then pour onto oat mixture.
- Mix well to evenly coat.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, add your favorite dried fruit, and eat plain or serve as breakfast cereal.