Delicious, hearty, and fun, stuffed bell peppers served with fresh pico de gallo make the perfect dinner.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 pound of organic ground beef
- 1-2 cups of steamed rice
- 1 medium size can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 a yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 bell peppers (your choice of colors – green works great and is most often the cheaper option, but red, yellow, or orange would be delish)
- grated cheddar cheese – at least half a pound
- chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika
- Brown ground meat in a saute pan and drain.
- Add finely chopped onion to meat, turn down heat and cook til onions are translucent. Add a small amount of water to keep things from scorching.
- Add a generous amount of chili powder (use your judgment depending on your family’s taste). I use a good 2 tablespoons.
- Stir in a teaspoon of cumin,a teaspoon of paprika, a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add about half the can of tomato sauce and your 3 minced garlic cloves. Cook this down for 15 minutes while your rice is steaming and you’re slicing your bells in half and discarding seeds and stems.
- Once your rice is done, add to the meat mixture, along with the rest of the tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Spoon and pack down mixture into bell pepper halves, just till it starts to overflow.
- Bake for about 15 minutes on 375.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar or jack cheese and serve immediately.