I used to keep organic jarred sauce in my pantry. For nights when I didn’t feel like cooking, or hadn’t planned my menu and was in a hurry.
But those days are gone.
I don’t miss them.
Because this pasta sauce is so delicious. And with just a few extra steps (besides opening that jar and heating it), we have homemade and healthy pasta sauce in no time.
My favorite tomatoes to use for this sauce are organic, crushed tomatoes. The ones in the big can.
- a small yellow onion – diced
- olive oil
- several garlic cloves
- some red wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 large cans crushed tomatoes
- Drizzle some olive oil into a saute pan. 2-3 tablespoons to start. Add diced onions.
- Salt onions, turn heat down to medium, and cover with lid. Check them frequently, stirring as needed. If too dry, add a little more olive oil.
- When onions are translucent, pour in half a cup of red wine and stir. Simmer til wine reduces….about five minutes, maybe longer.
- Add at least 3-5 cloves of fresh garlic, minced, and your two cans crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook for at least 15 – 20 minutes on medium-low/low, tasting often, because you can’t help it. It smells that good.
Serve over your family’s favorite pasta noodles with freshly grated parmesan cheese.