To make sauce from scratch (right from your garden), you’ll need:
a yellow onion
5 cloves fresh garlic
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
12 Roma tomatoes or six “big” ones or a mix
1. Wash your fresh tomatoes, (I used 11 Roma and one Celebrity because that’s how my garden grows), cut the tops off (optional), and slice into quarters.
2. Drop into a food processor and pulse just until it looks like juicey, small chunks.
3. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil into a large saucepan and add whole chopped yellow onion. Salt and put a lid on. Sweat the onions down on medium temp til almost translucent.
4. Stir in 1/3 cup or so of red wine. Allow to cook down about five minutes.
5. Add 5 cloves of fresh, chopped garlic.
6. Stir in your crushed tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, maybe some oregano, too!
7. Allow to simmer on very low for 1 1/2 hours or so. Taste it. See if it needs more salt or to simmer a while longer.
Serve over your favorite pasta with freshly grated parmesan or pile on big chunks of mozzarella and broil in oven for a minute or two. Make this french bread loaf from Our Best Bites and a yummy salad. You CAN’T go wrong with this dinner.
Goin’ to stir my sauce now. It’s smelling pretty good right about now.