So delicious and nourishing, this chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food.
So far, eight out of the ten of us have been stricken with the flu-bug, so I whipped up this powerhouse of a soup to help boost immunity and detox our systems. Even with the little bit of added cayenne pepper and loads of fresh garlic, this soup is still mild enough for younger palates to enjoy.
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups chicken broth
large yellow or white onion (or 1 small whole onion), chopped
- 4 or 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 5 or 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound noodles (your favorite shape)
- Melt butter in large pot, add olive oil and chopped onions.
- Salt onions, stir, then turn to medium heat and cover pot with lid while preparing other ingredients.
- Stir in chopped celery, garlic, and carrots, and about a cup of chicken broth.
- Add chicken and the remaining chicken broth.
- Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in noodles, and cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
Want to see more recipes like this one? Check these out: