By Contributing Writer, Debra Worth
I have never liked dressed fruit salad until I had it at a friend’s house made with sour cream. I thought she was crazy, until I tried it. The creamy tanginess of sour cream went perfectly with the fruit and did not cover up the natural sweetness like cool whip fruit salads.
I decided I did like dressed salads just not with cool whip. It was nice to know since up until then I had never dressed my fruit salads, but as much as I love fresh fruit sometimes I want a little more of a cohesive dish.
It is perfect for a healthy dessert, a side dish to take to a picnic, or even just as part of a yummy breakfast.
The recipe below is just the basic version. I change it up every time really. In the strawberry one pictured above I used more honey then usual and did half whipped cream/half sour cream, used candied nuts instead of just regular nuts/granola, and added vanilla to the dressing for a delicious dessert.
Fruit Salad with Creamy Lime Dressing
- 1 chopped pineapple
- 1 pint sliced strawberries,
- 1 small carton blueberries
- (Or 10 cups of chopped up fruit. Get what looks good at the Market.)
- 2 cups granola and/or nuts
- 1 cup sour cream, or greek yogurt
- Juice of two limes
- Honey, maple syrup, or sugar to taste (I used 2 Tablespoons honey but additional sugar might be needed for tangier fruits)
- 1 pinch salt (may omit if using salted nuts)
- Mix the ingredients for your dressing.
- If you want the granola to stay crunchy leave it off, but I usually mix it in.
- Combine everything in a large bowl. You can layer it, or just mix it all together.