Essential oils are one of the easiest natural remedies to use, and if you’re looking for a great place to start trying gentle, safe alternatives, you’ve found it.
My Essential Oil Journey
I started experimenting with essential oils years ago, just buying lavender and tea tree oil from my local health food store. Back then, I had no idea about quality or distillation techniques that companies used to make their oils, or even about therapeutic grade oils. But I was on the right path.
I began using tea tree oil for cleaning around the house, and used lavender often for a relaxing bath. One of our boys had a specific skin condition that, once I researched, I learned that lemon myrtle essential oil could cure. I found a company that sold the oil and had it shipped immediately. Amazingly, the oil cleared the situation right up that no other method had been able to resolve.
It began to really click that the these oils were a form of God’s medicine, and I soon began connecting the dots between ailments and oils – like eucalyptus for helping to open airways, etc.
Years later, when our eighth son was born, our older seven boys simultaneously came down with a terrible cough that I was horrified the baby would catch. I immediately reached out to the nearest essential oil distributor that I knew, and got some oils to help the boys get better fast. The lady happened to be a doTERRA distributor, and I was so grateful for her help (still am to this day), that I joined very shortly after that.
My Favorite Essential Oil Company
I was pleased with the oils I used, but having made the decision to go with doTERRA before I had fully researched the company, I did a little more digging over the next year, and made the decision to switch to Young Living. Both companies make wonderful oils, but I had some personal convictions for switching to Young Living, and I have great peace about my decision.
3 Ways to Use Young Living Essential Oils
There are three ways to use essential oils.
- One of my favorite ways to use essential oils is in my diffuser. A diffuser makes it easy to get the oils into the air quickly when you want to kill germs (Thieves), open airways (Eucalyptus), or just set a mood or tone in your home. There are many options for this including Joy, Valor, Peace and Calming, and more.
- Simply remove the lid from a bottle and inhale the aroma for quick help for things like nausea and headache. Peppermint and Lemon oils work really great for these.
- Dab a little on wrists or behind ears. My favorite perfume is lavender, and I wear it this way.
- Essential oils can be directly applied to affected areas. I recently burned my wrist and hand with boiling water and immediately applied Melaleuca and Lavender. I kept applying every hour, and then repeated for several days until the burn began to peel. I was so thankful it never blistered, and was blown away at how effective the oils were at helping prevent that. Today, I don’t even have a scar.
- I apply Peppermint oil for headaches, Thieves on the bottoms of feet when we’re sick, and even a bit of lavender to soothe fussy little ones.
- You can add a drop of lemon to a glass of water to help ease congestion, and also just because it’s refreshing!
- Some people like to drop a couple of drops of Thieves directly down their throat or under their tongue to help fight off infection.
- Others prefer to place a few drops into an empty gelatin capsule and swallow with a glass of water.
A Few of My Favorite Oils
Lavender has so many uses including:
- cuts and scrapes
- insect bites
- making homemade foaming hand soap
Peppermint is good for so many things like:
- motion sickness
Lemon is helpful for:
- cold sores
- sore throats
- flushing toxins from the body
- cleaning around the house, mixed in with vinegar for countertop spray or a dab of olive oil for furniture polish
Melaleuca (also known as Tea Tree Oil) is antibacterial and can be used for:
- preventing infections on cuts and burns
- adding to homemade kitchen cleaner
- used instead of Lysol for killing germs in the bathroom and around the house
Thieves is an amazing essential oil blend that helps fight infection and boost immunity. It can be used aromatically, topically, and even internally with great success. Any time someone in our family is sick, it’s the first oil I rub on their feet and put into the diffuser.
Want to learn more or become a Young Living distributor? Just click here.