I made a big pot of chicken tortilla soup tonight and needed some tortilla chips. We had some multi-grain, flax chips, and as good as those are with hummus, salsa, and even guac, I just didn’t think they would work well in our bowls filled with soup, avocado and jack cheese.
I had plenty of corn tortillas, so I decided to just make our own chips.
So simple, and I can’t believe I’ve never tried this before!
I simply sprayed a cookie sheet with cooking spray, placed six tortillas in a single layer on the pan, then sprayed another light layer on top. I sprinkled some salt on top and broiled them on one side for several minutes. Then I flipped them to lightly brown the other side. This plain batch was good enough like this, but on the next batch, we sprinkled some chili powder along with the salt. Delish!
We got a little excited, and since we already had limes cut up for our soup, we sprinkled lime juice on the third batch (yes we made 18!) and WOW – they were so good!
Easy, Homemade Lime Chips
- corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- salt, chili powder
- fresh lime juice
- Set oven to broil.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Place six (or however many will fit) corn tortillas on pan.
- Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Salt tortillas lightly.
- Sprinkle tortillas with lime juice to taste.
- Sprinkle tortillas with chili powder to taste.
- Broil for a few minutes on each side until CRISP, but now browned. Watch carefully. Do not overcook OR undercook.