Is there anything better than a hot, homemade cinnamon roll on a blustery fall or winter afternoon? Not much. 🙂
I love making these for our family. Here’s our recipe.
- 2 and 1/4 cups flour (plus 1/2 cup for later)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet OR 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
To make the dough:
- In mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Set aside.
- In small bowl, heat water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted and the mixture is just hot, but NOT boiling.
- Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
- Mix in the egg and just enough of the 1/2 cup flour to make a soft dough. Add the flour slowly. You may not need all of the 1/2 cup. Dough is ready when it pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Knead the dough on lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for several minutes while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
- Mix 1/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon, and 1/4 cup sugar together.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Spread the butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture onto dough.
- Roll the dough tightly, then cut into 12 rolls.
- Place in lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan or pie pan.
- Cover rolls with aluminum foil and allow to rise in a warm oven for 60-90 minutes. They should double in size.
- Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cover the rolls with foil after 15 minutes to avoid excessive browning.
To make the icing:
In small bowl, mix vanilla and milk, then stir in powdered sugar with a fork.
- Keep mixing until there are no lumps.
- Pour icing over hot cinnamon rolls.