Chili chicken tacos, how I love thee.
Seriously. Why haven’t I ever thought to make tacos like THIS before!?!
We love shredded chicken tacos. We love chili.
So I put the two together, and oh my goodness, this is the perfect taco filling!
You can use this crock pot method and (if using the ingredient list below) still achieve this delicious, savory flavor, but here is my stove-top method that is pretty quick and easy.
To achieve the shredded texture, you can pull the chicken with two forks (once it’s done) or if you have a mixer, you can use the easiest method ever for shredding chicken.
We like to serve our tacos in either large lettuce boats or steamed corn tortillas, or even flour tortillas occasionally.
Ideas for toppings:
- diced purple onion (my absolute favorite!!)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fresh pico de gallo
These tacos go great with your favorite healthy chips, fresh veggies, Mexican rice, and black beans.
Here’s the printable recipe. Hope you enjoy!
Chili Chicken Tacos
- 4 or 5 chicken breasts
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chiles (like Rotel)
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- your favorite taco shells (lettuce or tortillas)
- your favorite toppings
- Place whole chicken breasts in large pot over medium heat and sprinkle the seasonings in.
- Turn the chicken breasts to coat.
- Add can of tomatoes and chiles and about a cup of water.
- Cover and let cook, stirring occasionally, til chicken is thoroughly done.
- Remove chicken from pan, and turn off heat. Do not discard liquid in pot.
- Trim any fat, shred, and repeat til all chicken is shredded.
- Return chicken to pot and stir well.
- Cook for a few more minutes over medium/low heat.
- Serve in your favorite taco shells.