This soup can serve as your appetizer for a Mexican-style meal, or it can be the meal itself. So delicious, and good for you, this soup recipe has become one of my favorite meals to make for our family.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 – 3 chicken breasts (all natural, no hormones, antibiotic-free)
- 3 cans or one box organic chicken broth
- 1 can Rotel (diced)
- 2 limes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium yellow onion – diced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- salt to taste
- cilantro – about two Tablespoons chopped
- sliced avocado
- jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- *steamed rice
- Cover chicken breasts in plenty of water in a large pot and boil until done.
- Remove chicken from pot, pull apart (into small pieces), and return to water. (Don’t drain all the water from the pan.)
- Sautee onion five minutes, add minced garlic or (use garlic press) cloves, and 2 tablespoons chili powder. Stir and then add to chicken. Bring to boil.
- Add Rotel, chicken broth, cumin, salt, and juice from two limes. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, prepare steamed rice.
- When soup and rice are done, spoon some rice into bowl, then soup on top. Top with cilantro leaves, sliced avocado, and grated Jack cheese. Garnish with lime wedges. Add chips to side.
*** Other yummy things that can go into this soup while it’s cooking are sliced zucchini or corn.
We enjoy our chicken tortilla soup with these easy, homemade lime chips.
However you decide to serve it, expect to enjoy a second helping.