Dax and the boys went on and on last night about how much they loved this dish. They kept asking if I’d made it before, and if we could have it all the time, and Nolan, of course, wanted to know the ingredients. To answer their questions: Yes, I’ve made it before, but this is the first time I made my own original version of it. Yes, we can have it more often, especially in the cold, winter months.
The recipe below is very versatile and forgiving. Sometimes I have made it exactly as listed below. The other night, I made two batches, one for our dinner and the other to freeze, and I used half the soup and a little less chicken. I added a little milk to the soup mix to make sure it wasn’t dry and it turned out very similar to the version with more soup, but no milk.
So there’s some wiggle room. You could even use less cheese if you wish….but who would do that!?! 😉
This recipe freezes and reheats well.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 package chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 a yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pound of shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil chicken til done and remove from water (saving water for noodles). If you don’t want to boil the chicken, broil it in the oven.
- Boil noodles in broth from chicken.
- While noodles are boiling, pull apart or cut up chicken into bite size pieces.
- Saute onion in a bit of butter or olive oil and salt, til translucent. Set aside.
- When noodles are done, drain.
- In a large pan (a very deep 9 X 13 works great), mix together: noodles, soups, onion, half the tomatoes (but all the juice), chicken, salt and pepper.
- Once it’s all mixed, pile the cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 till bubbly and golden around the edges. (Do yourself a favor and don’t brown the cheese. My kids don’t prefer hard cheese lumps….and neither do I.) Bring on the cheesy goodness!!!!
Serve with green beans, broccoli, or salad.