I had my first experience with one of these delicious sandwiches at a baby shower a number of years ago. It was love at first sight. I was hooked for life.
I asked for the recipe way back then and haven’t changed it one bit. Did I say I love this sandwich? I do. And so do my husband and most of our older boys.
Not just baby shower food. It’s the perfect meal for a hot summer night. You can keep the filling in the fridge and serve it up on lightly toasted fresh croissants whenever you’re ready.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (maybe a little more)
- one small can crushed pineapple
- one small package thinly sliced almonds
- salt and pepper
- croissants (about 4)
- Boil chicken breasts til done. (You can broil if you prefer.)
- Remove any fat and shred chicken. Any method works for this. Pull apart by hand, with a fork, or even use a chopper.
- Salt and pepper chicken lightly.
- In a medium bowl, mix in mayo with chicken. You may choose to add more or less mayo depending on size of chicken breasts.
- Stir in half the can of pineapple and half the package of almonds. Taste. Add more if you prefer. Sprinkle in a bit more salt or pepper if needed.
- Broil halved croissants until lightly golden, then pile on the chicken salad.