This is one of those versatile dishes that can serve as a great dinner for your family or as party food. Wait….isn’t that the same thing?
Certainly not the healthiest, seeing how the first ingredients on the list are crescent rolls, but overall, not too bad. I would love to find an easy, healthy, homemade version of the crescent roll and when I do, I’ll update this recipe. But until then, they’re the perfect dough for filling with this super-yummy chicken, veggie and cheese mixture.
One chicken ring would not fill us up, so we need either two chicken rings, or one chicken ring and an extra batch of filling in chips or tortillas. I always use double the following recipe, just because there are a lot of us, but I cut in half to share with you here.
Fiesta Chicken Ring
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- cumin, seasoned salt, chili powder
- Boil or broil chicken, then shred with fork or chop to small pieces.
- Place chicken in medium mixing bowl and sprinkle seasoning (to your taste) on chicken, then toss to coat.
- Add corn, black beans, chopped cilantro, chopped bell pepper, lime juice, minced garlic, sour cream, and cheese.
- Stir well.
- On round baking pan or stone, arrange wide edges of crescent rolls in a circle around the circumference of the pan, allowing them to touch as you go. The triangles of dough will be hanging off the pan.
- With fingertips, press dough around the “wreath” shape you’ve created, pressing the dough together.
- With a spoon or scoop, place chicken filling on the dough in a circle.
- Bring edges of dough up and over the chicken filling, and then tuck underneath. Continue until all the dough covers the filling. Imperfect is okay.
- Bake at 375 for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.