Yesterday was Levi’s birthday and I had totally forgotten that I had invited my sister and her family over for fajitas and cake. So this didn’t make it onto my menu for this week, but chicken fajitas is always the meal of choice for when my sister and her family come over. And they were better than ever, if I do say so myself.
Or maybe I am just enormously pregnant.
Okay, so to make these. Plan for some time in the kitchen, by the way.
But they’re worth it….
4 chicken breasts
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup Italian (or Zesty Italian) dressing
1/2 cup soy sauce
juice of at least two limes, maybe more depending on their juiciness
grated cheddar cheese
1. Prepare your marinade by mixing Italian dressing (store bought is fine), soy sauce and lime juice. Pour over chicken in a baking pan and let marinate while you’re busy making guacamole, pico, and slicing your onions for the fajitas.
2. Pour a little of the marinade from the pan into a large iron skillet on medium high heat, and add sliced onions.
3. Let onions cook while you trim fat from chicken and cut into fajita strips.
4. Dump chicken strips and ALL marinade into iron skillet, directly on top of onions. Add fresh minced garlic.
5. You can salt and pepper your onions and chicken now, or while marinating…either way…. Let this mixture cook til chicken is thoroughly done and ever so tender!!
6. Warm your tortillas by placing 10 or so on a plate and covering with identical plate, placing in microwave and cooking for one minute.
7. Serve chicken and onions on the tortilla, topped with cheese, sour cream, pico, Guacamole, and salsa, along with your favorite tortilla chips.
** Quite often, I will slice up some fresh green bell peppers and add to onions, just before adding the chicken, but this is optional.
Enjoy this heavenly feast with as many family and friends as possible!