I didn’t cook very many meals in the kitchen with my mom, but this was one she specifically taught me how to make. And I miss her.
Every. Single. Time I make it.
It’s comfort food, y’all.
Make a big batch and keep some leftovers for lunch the next day. You’ll be glad you did.
Chicken and Rice
- 3- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 box organic chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 Tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- seasoned salt and black pepper- to taste
- Cut chicken into cubes or thin strips.
- Chop celery and onion into small pieces.
- Place butter into Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, onion, and celery to pot.
- Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are translucent, add chicken broth and rice to pot, and stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, sprinkle in some seasoned salt and pepper, and cover pot with lid.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (30 minutes or longer if using brown, non-instant rice,)
- Sprinkle with seasoned salt and stir.