By Contributing Writer, Candace Sabo
I love a good Buffalo Chicken Salad. And sometimes, my husband and I can’t resist a Buffalo Chicken Salad from Chili’s. But a traditional Buffalo Chicken Salad is riddled with fat and calories.
Years ago, my good friend, Hollie, shared this great, much healthier version….and our family has enjoyed it ever since. For those discriminating Buffalo lovers like us, it satisfies that rich Buffalo flavor, but cuts out most of the fat and calories! You’ve gotta try it!
This recipe yields four large portions. Sometimes our family can get away with doubling this since the little ones don’t eat full servings, but if we’re really hungry, we go for the triple!
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper hot sauce (or other hot sauce), plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 hearts Romaine, cut into 1-inch strips (about 8 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 scallions, green part only, sliced
- 1/2 cup Blue Cheese Dressing (see below)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Put the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or hammer so the chicken is an even thickness of about 3/4-inch, then cut the chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch strips.
- In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce and the oil, add chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and broil until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.
Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fold a full sheet of paper towel into quarters and put it into a small bowl.
- Spoon the yogurt onto the paper towel and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to drain and thicken. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and thickened yogurt into the mayonnaise until smooth.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the blue cheese and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl combine the Romaine, celery, shredded carrots and scallions. Toss with the dressing. Divide the greens between 4 plates, top with the chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce.