There are so many recipes for blueberry muffins floating around out there. I experimented with a few and ended up doing what I always do….modifying my favorite recipe. The boys love it, and I think it’s pretty good, too.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries – ***TIP: Keep frozen blueberries at all times for quick batches of these and pancakes!!***
- * 2 tablespoons sugar for topping
1. In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs and mix well.
3. Mix in milk and vanilla.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix again.
5. Fold in blueberries.
6. Fill greased muffin pans 1/2 way to 2/3 way full, depending on what size muffin you want. Also, use cupcake liners if you wish, but I prefer them without.
7. Sprinkle tops with a little sugar. Totally optional. I forgot last time and they tasted great, but I thought they lacked the fun texture on top.
8. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
This is one of those recipes where my kids helped me decide what to do to make it work for us. The first time I made it, I used two cups of blueberries, which might be good for some folks, but was too much for us. It also can be made with just one cup of sugar, too, but since I reduced the amount of blueberries, I added a bit more sugar. You can experiment with these two and decide what you like best.
Either way….yummy muffins!!
For the recipe for the banana muffins you see in the photos, click here.